Macaroni and Cheese
Eye-healthy nutrients: zinc, beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin D
8 ounces elbow macaroni
2 ½ cups coarsely grated carrots
¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1¾ cups milk, heated
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon powdered mustard
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat an 8- by 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions until just firm. Add carrots 3 to 4 minutes before the pasta is finished. Using a slotted spoon, skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in flour until completely incorporated, about 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add milk and cook until thickened, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, whisking often.
4. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese, salt, mustard, and pepper. Stir until cheese has melted. Add pasta mixture and stir well to combine. Transfer to baking pan. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs with melted butter. Stir in Parmesan. Sprinkle on macaroni mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool just slightly before serving.
Chicken With Mushrooms and Thyme
Eye-healthy nutrients: vitamin D, beta-carotene, vitamin A
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 ½ to 2 pounds)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat butter and olive oil over high heat in a heavy saucepan/skillet large enough to hold chicken breasts in one layer. When oil smokes, add chicken breasts; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to an oven-safe dish and bake until juices run clear when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
2. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the drippings in the pan and cook for about 1 minute over high heat. Add vinegar and thyme, continue cooking for about 1 minute. Add ½ cup of water and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Season to taste. To serve, slice each breast in half crosswise on the diagonal. Coat chicken with sauce and sprinkle with chives.