Blue Cheese and Pear Toasts
For a lighter dish, limit each portion to 1 slice per plate. Cherry tomatoes are the perfect accompaniment. [quicklook-recipe prep_time=”15
For a lighter dish, limit each portion to 1 slice per plate. Cherry tomatoes are the perfect accompaniment.
[quicklook-recipe prep_time=”15 min” cook_time=”” serves=”4″ details=”” ]
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 2 ripe red-skinned pears
- Fresh lemon juice
- 7-ounce wedge of Gorgonzola dolce cheese
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts
- 8 large slices French bread, about 3/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 ounce watercress sprigs
- 1 ounce arugula
- Fresh-ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
[step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it” time=””]
[step-item number=”1″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Heat the broiler. Core and quarter the pears, then toss with a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent the pears from browning. Cut the cheese down the length of the wedge to make 8 thin, triangular slices. [/step-item]
[step-item number=”2″ image_url=”” title=”” ] Lightly toast the pecans under the broiler, watching carefully to make sure they don’t burn, then roughly chop them; set aside. Spread out the bread slices on the broiler pan and toast lightly on both sides.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”3″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Spread the mango chutney on the toasted bread and top with the watercress and arugula. Arrange a slice of cheese and a pear on each piece of toast and sprinkle with pecans. Season with pepper. Serve at once, with halved cherry tomatoes.[/step-item]
- Use whole-wheat bread instead of French bread to increase fiber content.
- Gorgonzola dolce is available from specialist cheese stores and some Italian delicatessens. If you can’t find any, substitute thin slices of Stilton cheese for the Gorgonzola, and replace the pecans with walnuts.
- Replace the pears with 2 star fruit, cut into thin slices.
- To make Cheddar, Date and Apple Open Sandwiches, use 8 slices of walnut bread, toasting it, if liked. Top each slice with a small leaf of romaine lettuce and a little watercress. Cover with thin slices of cheddar cheese and apple slices, then sprinkle 4 pitted and chopped fresh dates on top, preferably Medjool from California, which are deliciously moist.
[nutrition-info calories=”440″ calories_fat=”” fat=”24g” sat_fat=”12g” choles=”” sodium=”” carbs=”38mg” sugars=”” protein=”18g” fiber=”4g”]
[factoid]Cheese is a good source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, and the vitamins B2 and B12. Blue cheese is high in fat, but its strong flavor means a little goes a long way.[/factoid]
[cooking_tip]Slicing the bread thickly will increase the ration of starchy carbohydrate to fat, thus helping to make this a healthy, balanced dish.[/cooking_tip]