Sweet Roasted Chicken Sandwich
You’ll savor this sweet-and-spicy combination of lean chicken roasted with a honey and mustard dressing.
[quicklook-recipe prep_time=”10 min” cook_time=”15 min” serves=”4″ details=”” ]
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 6 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, about 3 ounces each
- 4 large buns, plain or whole wheat
- 8 small romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 small ripe mangoes, sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
[step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it” time=”About 25 minutes”]
[step-item number=”1″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Heat the oven to 350°F. Mix the mustard and honey together and season to taste.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”2″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Enlarge the hollow left by the bone in each chicken thigh, cutting to open them out; press to flatten them a little. Place the thighs, smooth side up, in a lightly oiled baking dish or small roasting pan. Set aside about 2 tablespoons of the honey and mustard mixture, and spread the remainder over the top of the chicken thighs. Roast until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a knife, 12 to 15 minutes.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”3″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Meanwhile, split open the buns and toast them. Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom half of each bun, top with the mango slices and sprinkle with the scallions, if using. Spread the reserved honey and mustard mixture over the underside of the top halves.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”4″ image_url=”” title=”” ] Put the roasted chicken thighs on top of the mango and scallions, then top with the remaining lettuce. Put the tops of the bun on and press the sandwiches gently together.[/step-item]
- Roast the chicken in advance and serve cold sandwiches, rather than hot.
- To make an open-face sandwich, place the lettuce, mango slices and chicken thighs on toasted thick slices of country-style bread.
- Use boneless turkey breast halves instead of chicken thighs. Because they are a denser meat, they cook more quickly — roast 10 to 12 minutes.
- Experiment with the fruit you use — try slices of fresh pineapple, peach, or kiwi fruit. If you use canned fruits, select ones canned in fruit juice rather than syrup, to keep the calorie count low.
- For Chicken and Vegetable Sandwich, top the roasted mustard-glazed chicken with a grated zucchini, carrot, and sweet onion salad, or serve with a carrot and white cabbage coleslaw.
- Whole-grain mustard adds texture to the sandwich, but if you prefer you can substitute a smooth mustard.
[cooking_tip]Honey provides energy for the body, and is a healthier option than sugar.[/cooking_tip]
[nutrition-info calories=”365″ calories_fat=”” fat=”9g” sat_fat=”2g” choles=”” sodium=”” carbs=”49g” sugars=”19g” protein=”25g” fiber=”5g”]
[factoid]Whole-grain mustard, although it includes oil, has significantly less fat than mayonnaise, which is why it has been used as a condiment in this sandwich.[/factoid]