Your house is too clean
It is possible to go overboard with your cleaning—a certain amount of germ exposure is actually healthy. “When we over-disinfect our house and get rid of too much bacteria, it backfires on us,” Maker says. “Soap and water is a super-effective cleaner that will protect us from most things,” and what it doesn’t remove will give our immune system a healthy challenge, she says.
There’s another issue with antimicrobial cleaning products and disinfectants, says Geller: They encourage the creation of bacteria that can’t be killed. “Disinfectants may facilitate the growth of antibiotic-resistant superbugs, and the ingredients in many are harmful to human health and the environment,” she says. “Most routine cleaning does not require disinfection—simple soap and water are enough to remove most household dirt and organic matter.” Here are the 13 most toxic spring cleaning products—and what to buy instead.
How your home can harm you
You probably know lead and asbestos are dangerous substances that can turn up in homes, but you might not know that other chemicals inside our houses, both natural and man-made, can make you sick. These substances can foul your air, water, food, and even the products you use to clean. Some symptoms of sick building syndrome can include irritated eyes, nose, throat, or skin, breathing trouble fatigue, and confusion; building-related illness may include long-term problems like asthma and allergies. And then there are the chemicals that disrupt hormones or jumpstart cancer. Here are some things you can do that to make your house healthier and reduce your risks.