16 Low-Calorie Breakfast Swaps
You’ve heard it a million times — breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s important to get
You’ve heard it a million times — breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s important to get the proper fuel in the morning to keep you energized all day long. Here are 16 low-calorie swaps for a healthy breakfast that won’t weigh you down.
1. Choose fresh fruit instead of juice. One orange has 60 calories, while a cup of orange juice contains 110. Calories saved: 50
2. Swap a cup of whole milk for a cup of skim. Calories saved: 65
3. Prefer the taste of 2% milk? Use 1/2 cup of 2% in your morning cereal instead of a cup of whole milk. Calories saved: 90
4. Enjoy a large red, white, or pink grapefruit topped with a zero-calorie, natural sugar alternative like Stevia. Calories saved: 15 per teaspoon of sugar omitted.
5. Instead of 1.5 cups of plain oatmeal for breakfast, try 3/4 cup, add 2 tablespoons of low-fat granola with raisins, and sprinkle cinnamon. Calories saved: 65
6. Substitute an 8-ounce low-fat yogurt for classic or custard-style yogurt. Calories saved: 100
7. Trade 2 French toast sticks for 1 whole-grain waffle. Calories saved: 70
8. Need a topping for pancakes or waffles? Try 1 cup of sliced, ripe fruit instead of 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Calories saved: 50
9. Hold the dollop (2 teaspoons) of butter on any breakfast item. Calories saved: 65
10. Substitute 2 low-fat turkey sausage links instead of 2 regular sausage links. Calories saved: 100
11. Use egg whites when preparing your favorite omelet instead of whole eggs. Calories saved: 55 per egg yolk omitted.
12. Spread 2 teaspoons of fat-free tub margarine on your whole-grain toast instead of 2 teaspoons of stick margarine. Calories saved: 60
13. Swap a large 4-inch plain bagel for a smaller 3-inch one. Calories saved: 100
14. Ditch the glazed doughnut and eat a cookie. A 3-inch peanut butter cookie is an okay choice; but oatmeal cookie is even better. Calories saved: 50-75
15. Keep the meat and cut the fat. Swap 4 strips (about an ounce) of regular bacon for 2 ounces of Canadian bacon. Calories saved: 70
16. Spread a spoonful of All-Fruit jam on your toast rather than butter. Calories saved: 60