[quicklook-recipe prep_time=”20 min” cook_time=”25 min” serves=”6″ details=”” ]
Cocoa delivers a rich, chocolaty flavor with less fat than plain chocolate.
A dollop of mock whipped cream spiked with cherry brandy adds a delightful touch to each slice of cake.
[ingredients-list title=”Ingredients” serving_size=””]
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh Bing cherries, pitted and cut in half (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cherry preserves
- 1 tablespoon Kirsch (cherry brandy) or rum (optional)
[step-list-wrapper title=”How to make it” time=”45 minutes”]
[step-item number=”1″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep) with parchment paper. Sift the flour, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, the cocoa, and salt on a piece of wax paper.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”2″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Using an electric mixer on high, beat the egg whites in a clean, grease-free large bowl until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and the vanilla extract. Continue beating until the egg whites are glossy and smooth, and stand up in stiff peaks.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”3″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Sift the flour-cocoa mixture over the egg whites and fold in gently with a wire
whisk, just until the flour disappears. Do not over mix. Using a rubber spatula, lift the batter into the pan. Smooth out the surface, mounding it slightly in the center, then sprinkle the cherries evenly over the top of the cake.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”4″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Bake the cake until the cake has risen and is just firm to the touch yet still moist on top, about 25 minutes (a toothpick inserted into the center should come out with moist crumbs). Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool slightly.[/step-item]
[step-item number=”5″ image_url=”” title=”” ]Sprinkle the cake with the confectioners’ sugar before serving. If you wish to serve with the mock whipped cream, blend together all of the ingredients and serve each slice of the warm cake with a generous spoonful.[/step-item]
Some More Ideas
* Warm strawberry-chocolate mousse cake: In place of the cherries, use 1 1/2 cups sliced ripe strawberries (about 1 pint whole berries).
* Raspberry-chocolate mousse cake: In place of the cherries, buy 1 pint fresh raspberries. Use 1 1/2 cups whole fresh raspberries in place of the cherries in the cake and garnish
the warm cake with the rest of the berries.
* Winter Black Forest mousse cake: When fresh Bing cherries are not in season, substitute 1 1/2 cups of canned, pitted sweet dark cherries. Drain the cherries well before sprinkling them over the top of the cake batter.
[factoid]Like egg yolks, egg whites also provide protein but do not contribute any of the fat
or cholesterol found in the yolks.[/factoid]
[nutrition-info calories=”195″ calories_fat=”11″ fat=”1g” sat_fat=”0g” choles=”0mg” sodium=”143mg” carbs=”42g” sugars=”23g” protein=”6g” fiber=”3g”]
Exchanges: carbohydrate 3
Ounce for ounce, cocoa contains 79% less fat than baking chocolate and five times as much iron. Your body does not absorb this iron as well as the iron in meat, but the vitamin C in the cherries helps.
Each serving provides calories 195, calories from fat 11, fat 1g, saturated fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 143mg,
carbohydrate 42g, fiber 3g, sugars 23g, protein 6g. Good source of folate, riboflavin, thiamine.